Two-Parameter Fracture Mechanics : Theory and Applications / NP. O'Dowd, CF. Shih
- Conference Author:
- Fracture Mechanics: Twenty-Fourth Volume (24th : 1992 : Gatlinburg, Tennessee)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (27 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- O'Dowd, NP., Shih, CF., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text. and License restrictions may limit access.
- A family of self-similar fields provides the two parameters required to characterize the full range of high- and low-triaxiality crack tip states. The two parameters, J and Q, have distinct roles: / sets the size scale of the process zone over which large stresses and strains develop, whereas Q scales the near-tip stress distribution relative to a high-triaxiality reference stress state. An immediate consequence of the theory is this: it is the toughness values over a range of crack-tip constraint that fully characterize the material's fracture resistance. It is shown that Q provides a common scale for interpreting cleavage fracture and ductile tearing data, thus allowing both failure modes to be incorporated in a single toughness locus.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1994, Issue 1207 (January 1994)
- 9780803152700 (e-ISBN), 9780803119901, and 0803119909
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 39.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription., Full text article also available for purchase., and Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1994. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27989251