Aircraft Cabin Air Quality : A Critical Review of Past Monitoring Studies / NL. Nagda, HE. Rector, Z. Li, DR. Space
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- This paper reviews measurement studies of aircraft cabin air quality conducted between 1985 and 1998. Study results are evaluated in terms of monitoring objectives, sampling design, measurement parameters, data characteristics, quality assurance, level of review, and findings. Monitoring designs ranged from modest efforts involving a handful of flights to extensive efforts involving about 100 flights. Most of the studies reported measurement data for bioaerosols, carbon monoxide (CO), carbon dioxide (CO2) and particulate matter. Formaldehyde, ozone (O3), and volatile organic compounds (VOCs) were measured in fewer studies. Semivolatile organic compounds (SVOCs) were not measured in any of the studies reported in this paper. Average concentrations of bioaerosols and CO were lower than or similar to those encountered in ground-level environments. Average levels of CO2 routinely exceeded the 1000-ppm level, which is often used for judging acceptability of air quality in buildings but may be inappropriate for the cabin environment. Measurement methods used for bioaerosols, CO, and CO2 were found to be reliable. Although concentrations of particulate matter appeared to be low, this finding was not shared by all studies; this is most likely due to variation in the robustness for selected measurement methods, rather than actual differences in concentrations. The paucity of data or inadequacies in methods and instrumentation used for measuring formaldehyde, O3 and VOCs precludes definitive conclusions.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 2000, Issue 1393 (January 2000)
- Carbon monoxide (CO)
- Volatile organic compound (VOC)
- Semi-volatile organic compound (SVOC)
- Total volatile organic compounds (TVOC)
- Quality assurance
- Particulate matter
- Atmospheric pressure
- Indoor air pollution
- Aircraft cabins
- Aircraft cabins—Congresses
- Indoor air pollution—Congresses
- 9780803154414 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 33.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 2000. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27989619