Experimental and Numerical Validation of a Ductile Fracture Local Criterion Based on a Simulation of Cavity Growth / J-C Devaux, F. Mudry, A. Pineau, G. Rousselier
- Conference Author:
- Nonlinear Fracture Mechanics: Volume II Elastic-Plastic Fracture (2nd : 1986 : Knoxville, Tennessee)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (17 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Devaux, J-C, Mudry, F., Pineau, A., Rousselier, G., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text. and License restrictions may limit access.
- A local criterion based on the simulation of hole growth by plastic deformation has been evaluated. Fracture of a material volume is reached for an assumed critical value of cavity growth. This critical value is determined from notched tensile tests. When dealing with cracked geometries, a process zone is introduced at the crack tip. This zone is modeled as the first mesh element (a)c at the crack tip in a finite-element code. The size of this element, which is a material constant, is measured from a conventional compact tension (CT) test. Different tests with cracked geometries were carried out on side-grooved CT specimens of different sizes (25 and 50-mm width) and on axisymmetrically cracked tensile bars (TA) with 15, 30, and 50-mm outer diameters. In all cases the fracture was flat with no shear lips. Keeping the parameters of the fracture local criterion constant, crack initiation and crack propagation were modeled using the node release technique. The numerical procedure and results are described in detail. The model results are shown to be in good agreement with the experimental results.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1988, Issue 995V2 (January 1988)
- 9780803150645 (e-ISBN), 9780803112582, and 0803112580
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 18.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription., Full text article also available for purchase., and Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1988. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27989896