Irradiation Effects in Reactor Pressure Vessel Steels : A Nuclear Regulatory Commission Perspective / CZ. Serpan, PN. Randall
- Conference Author:
- Radiation Embrittlement of Nuclear Reactor Pressure Vessel Steels: An International Review (Second Volume) (2nd : 1984 : Vienna, Austria)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (8 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Serpan, CZ., Randall, PN., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- The embrittling effect of neutron irradiation on reactor pressure vessel steel and welds has a significant impact on the regulation of reactors by the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC). Because the NRC is concerned with the continuing integrity and safety of the reactor's primary system, the neutron-irradiation-induced loss of fracture toughness and ductility must be carefully documented, understood, and controlled to assure that despite such loss, there is always a sufficient reserve of toughness and ductility to preclude crack initiation and uncontrolled propagation in the unlikely event of an accident. Aspects of embrittlement important to the NRC, which are discussed herein, include prediction of the transition temperature and upper-shelf-energy levels at critical vessel locations for the setting of pressure-temperature limits, for analysis of accident loadings such as pressurized thermal shock, and for evaluation of flaws found in inspection. Also discussed are the use of embrittlement-related neutron dosimetry and evaluation of vessel annealing.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1986, Issue 909 (January 1986)
- Other Subject(s):
- 9780803149755 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 7.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1986. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27990389