Preparation and Characterization of Surfactant Coated Ce-Zr Nanoparticles and Nanofuel / Rajiv Sharma, S. Kanagaraj
- Conference Author:
- Nanofluids (2011 : West Conshohocken, PA)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (15 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Sharma, Rajiv, Kanagaraj, S., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text. and License restrictions may limit access.
- The use of the oxygen storing capacity (OSC) of CeO2 to enhance the conditioning of engine exhaust is being explored as a means to reduce the harmful products of emission. A doping agent, Zr, is used to further improve ceria's OSC and thermal stability. In this study, a high OSC endowed cerium-zirconium mixed-oxide (Ce0.6Zr0.4O2) three-way catalyst (TWC) was synthesized using a surfactant assisted co-precipitation method, and a stable suspension of the mixed oxide in diesel was prepared. The characterization of the mixed oxide and nanofuel was done using different analytical techniques, and the formation of a solid solution of the mixed oxide was confirmed. A stable dispersion of mixed oxide nanoparticles in diesel was achieved with the use of a mixed alkyl chain length surfactant. The thermal conductivity of the nanofuel did not show any significant increase with an increase in TWC concentration, and the calorific value of the nanofuel decreased. It is concluded that the cerium-zirconium mixed-oxide has a much higher OSC than pure ceria and could be potentially be used for better combustion of fuel in engines.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 2012, Issue 1567 (August 2012)
- 9780803175600 (e-ISBN) and 9780803175556
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 29.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription., Full text article also available for purchase., and Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 2012. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27990430