The Effect of Charpy V-Notch Striker Radii on the Absorbed Energy / TA. Siewert, DP. Vigliotti
- Conference Author:
- Pendulum Impact Machines: Procedures and Specimens for Verification (1994 : Montreal, Quebec, Canada)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (13 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Siewert, TA., Vigliotti, DP., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- The two most common Charpy V-notch striker designs (8-mm and 2-mm radii on the striking edge) were compared using verification (reference-grade) impact specimens. Other variables in the test matrix included two different brands of U-type pendulum machines and four different specimen energy ranges (near 18, 45, 100, and 200 J). In this comparative study, we found a very small difference between the two striker designs and an even smaller difference between the two brands of machines. At 200 J, the difference between the two striker designs was about 10 J. This difference might not be important in most production testing, but must be considered in verification testing where the acceptable range may be 5 %. The standard deviations of absorbed energy for the two strikers were similar, except at 200 J where the 2-mm striker produced standard deviations about 3 times higher than the 8-mm striker.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1995, Issue 1248 (January 1995)
- Other Subject(s):
- 9780803153073 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 6.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1995. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27990626