Fatigue Crack Propagation in Aluminum-Zinc-Magnesium Alloy Fillet-Welded Joints / SJ. Maddox, D. Webber
- Conference Author:
- Fatigue Testing of Weldments (1977 : Toronto, Canada)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (26 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Maddox, SJ., Webber, D., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- The fatigue behavior of aluminum-zinc-magnesium (Al-Zn-Mg) alloy fillet-welded joints was analyzed in fracture mechanics terms. Basic crack propagation data were obtained with ¿̐ư2 ? R ? + 0.5 and correlated using formulas in the literature and, more successfully, in terms of ?Keff, based on the results of crack closure experiments. The form of the da/dN versus ?K relationship was influenced by the specimen geometry. A fracture mechanics analysis of the fatigue life of Al-Zn-Mg alloy fillet welds based on the da/dN versus ?Keff relationship indicated that the weld toe was less severe from the fatigue viewpoint than the same region in a steel fillet weld. This was compatible with the fact that metallurgical examination of Al-Zn-Mg alloy fillet welds has failed to reveal toe defects similar in magnitude to those which act as fatigue crack initiators at the toes of steel fillet welds. The analysis showed that the fatigue life obtained from the Al-Zn-Mg alloy weld could be predicted on the basis that defects only one tenth the size of those observed in steel were present. Fatigue failure from the weld root in a cruciform joint was also analyzed and the optimum weld design, which gives an equal chance of failure from the root and toe, was determined. The analysis was supported by fatigue test results. Comparison with results obtained for steel added confirmation to the finding that if toe defects are present in Al-Zn-Mg alloy welds, they are smaller than those in steel.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1978, Issue 648 (January 1978)
- Other Subject(s):
- 9780803147195 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 23.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1978. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27991522