IBOLT : A Composite Bolted Joint Static Strength Prediction Tool / JR. Eisenmann, CQ. Rousseau
- Conference Author:
- Joining and Repair of Composite Structures (2003 : Kansas City, Missouri)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (21 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Rousseau, CQ.
American Society for Testing and Materials
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- The objective of this paper is to describe the bolted joint analysis method developed and used by LM Aeronautics (named IBOLT) including the theoretical basis, required input, and coupon-level strength-prediction validation. IBOLT performs a fracture-mechanics-based static strength prediction for a rectangular composite joint element subjected to any combination of biaxial membrane loads, shear loads, and an off- axis bolt load. Out-of-plane bending moments are also treated. Joint configuration effects (single- or double-shear) are modeled by a beam-on-elastic-foundation analysis to account for the thickness and stiffness of the joint members as well as the bolt bending and shear stiffness. Empirical equations are included to account for fastener head geometry, effects of filled versus open holes, fastener/hole clearance, and fastener torque. Required input, in addition to the usual geometry, loads, fastener, and substrate elastic properties, includes a variety of special laminate-level joint properties. Uni-axial notched, un-notched, and bolted-joint coupon tests are conducted to develop these properties. In addition to these uniaxial coupon tests, bearing/bypass tension and bearing/bypass compression tests have been performed to validate the accuracy of IBOLT strength predictions. An overview of these validation results is provided, along with a brief summary of IBOLT's strengths and weaknesses as a practical bolted joint stress analysis tool.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 2004, Issue 1455 (January 2004)
- 9780803154995 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 11.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 2004. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27991581