Winter Sports in an Indoor Facility¿̐ưAccident and Injury Trends / S. Richter, G. Jendrusch, H. Henke, HG. Hermichen, H. Heck
- Conference Author:
- Skiing Trauma and Safety: Fifteenth Volume (15th : 2003 : St. Moritz/Pontresina, Switzerland)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (9 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Richter, S, Heck, H., Henke, H., Hermichen, HG., Jendrusch, G., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text. and License restrictions may limit access.
- Along with the increasing popularity of indoor winter sport activities, the need for specific investigations with respect to injury prevention is growing This statement was the background for a one-year study in which all sports injuries/accidents reported at the indoor artificial ski slope in Neuss (Germany) were documented and evaluated by way of an accident protocol. Injuries requiring medical attention or treatment were documented in the casualty department and injured persons were interviewed by a telephone survey regarding cause, type degree, and possible consequences of their injury. A total of 372 skiing accidents were reported, 64.5 % concerning men, 35.5 % women. While the majority of ski hall visitors are skiers (57.9 %) compared to snowboarders (40.1 %, tire-tubing or others: 2.0 %), more accidents happened to snowboarders (55.6 %) than to skiers (33.3 %; tubing: 3.8 %, others: 1.1 %, not known 6.2 %). Winter sport beginners account for the largest group of accidents victims (> 40 %).Snowboarders seem to suffer a particular risk since they prefer to use the very challenging funpark section of the indoor facility, which is provoking more dangerous situations leading to accidents as a consequence.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 2005, Issue 1464 (January 2005)
- 9780803155084 (e-ISBN), 9780803134904, and 0803134908
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 6.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription., Full text article also available for purchase., and Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 2005. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27991900