A Simple Method to Measure pH Accurately in Acid Rain Samples / PF. Boyle, JW. Ross, JC. Synnott, CL. James
- Conference Author:
- Impact of Acid Rain and Deposition on Aquatic Biological Systems (1984 : Bal Harbour, Florida)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (9 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Boyle, PF.
American Society for Testing and Materials
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- Conventional pH electrodes, which are designed to function in high-conductivity solutions, show slow and erratic response in pure water samples such as acid precipitation. Increasing conductivity without shifting pH solves the measurement problem. This method correctly measures pH in low conductivity solutions, using a Ross combination pH electrode, after the addition of a small amount of potassium chloride (KCl) solution to the sample. The Ross electrode, with its unique internal redox system, is chosen since it eliminates problems associated with temperature and because the precision and accuracy of data obtained in preliminary testing with it were comparable to those obtained with the standard hydrogen electrode. KCl addition to samples does not alter the pH significantly.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1986, Issue 928 (January 1986)
- 9780803149908 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 6.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1986. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27992309