The Mechanics of Moderately Stressed Cracks / FO. Riemelmoser, R. Pippan
- Conference Author:
- Fatigue Crack Growth Thresholds, Endurance Limits, and Design (1998 : Norfolk, Virginia)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (14 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Riemelmoser, FO., Pippan, R., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- The intrinsic behaviour of fatigue cracks is discussed by a discrete dislocation model and by a BCS-type continuum mechanics approximation. The investigation of a homogeneous material shows that the near threshold regime and the existance of an intrinsic threshold itself can be ascribed to the dislocation nature of plasticity. By incorporating microstructural features in the analysis it is then shown that the intrinsic threshold value is determined only by the mechanism for the dislocation generation and does not depend on microstructural details like the grain size. However, in the near threshold regime and in the lower Paris regime the plastic deformation and the crack growth rates are severely influenced by microstructure. Therefore, a micromechanics approach should be used for the predictions of the plastic response of materials. Only in the upper Paris regime, where the cyclic plastic zone size exceeds several times the microstructural length scale usual continuum plasticity mechanics is appropriate to describe the events at the crack tip. Macroscopic quantities like the yield stress of materials cannot be used to describe moderately stressed fatigue cracks.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 2000, Issue 1372 (January 2000)
- Other Subject(s):
- 9780803154247 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 16.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 2000. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27992479