Beryllium Measurement in Commercially Available Wet Wipes / Linda D. Youmans-McDonald, Mike Brisson, Maureen Bernard, Anoop Agrawal, John P. Cronin, Lori Adams
- Conference Author:
- Surface and Dermal Sampling (2010 : San Antonio, TX)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (10 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Youmans-McDonald, Linda D., Adams, Lori, Agrawal, Anoop, Bernard, Maureen, Brisson, Mike, Cronin, John P., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- Analysis for beryllium by fluorescence is now an established method which is used in many government run laboratories and commercial facilities. This study investigates the use of this technique using commercially available wet wipes. The fluorescence method is widely documented [1,2] and has been approved as a standard test method by the ASTM International and the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. The procedure involves dissolution of samples in an aqueous ammonium bifluoride solution and then adding a small aliquot to a basic hydroxybenzoquinoline sulfonate fluorescent dye, (Berylliant¿̐ư, Inc., Detection Solution Part #CH-2) and measuring the fluorescence. This method is specific to beryllium. This work will explore the use of three different commercial wipes spiked with beryllium as beryllium acetate or as beryllium oxide and subsequent analysis by optical fluorescence. The effect of possible interfering metals such as Fe, Ti, and Pu in the wipe medium is also examined.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 2011, Issue 1533 (January 2011)
- 9780803188945 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 13.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 2011. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27993018