Study on Tribological and Electrochemical Performance of Metal Artificial Hip Joint Materials in Simulated Synovial Fluids / Z. K. Hua, G. Mcknight, J. McCloy
- Conference Author:
- Symposium on Metal-On-Metal Total Hip Replacement Devices (2011 : Phoenix, AZ)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (9 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Mcknight, G., Hua, Z. K., McCloy, J., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- Metal-on-metal artificial hip joints are subject to wear and corrosion under the biological conditions of human bodies, which results in the release of metal particles and ions. Therefore, in vitro tests of such total hip replacement devices that evaluate both tribological and electrochemical performance need to be considered. In this study, the wear and electrochemical properties of CoCrMo-on-CoCrMo hip prosthesis materials in simulated synovial fluids were investigated using a pin-on-disk biotribological apparatus and an anodic polarization testing system. When using ASTM F732-00 and electrochemical test methodologies, the mean scar diameter and pitting potential can be regarded as index measures in wear tests of CoCrMo-on-CoCrMo artificial hip joint materials. Results show that albumin, a main protein in synovial fluid, can help reduce friction between the CoCrMo wear couple. However, the corrosion of CoCrMo is enhanced at high albumin contents. Moreover, it was found that alendronic acid sodium, a therapeutic composition used to inhibit osteoclast-mediated bone resorption, also has an effect on the electrochemical performance of CoCrMo-on-CoCrMo wear couples. It is suggested that oral or joint injection drugs be considered for use in wear tests of metal-on-metal artificial hip joints.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 2013, Issue 1560 (May 2013)
- Other Subject(s):
- 9780803175723 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 12.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 2013. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27993025