Effect of Zirconium Oxide on the Stress-Corrosion Susceptibility of Irradiated Zircaloy Cladding / RF. Mattas, FL. Yaggee, LA. Neimark
- Conference Author:
- Zirconium in the Nuclear Industry (1980 : Boston, Massachusetts)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (13 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Mattas, RF., Neimark, LA., Yaggee, FL., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text. and License restrictions may limit access.
- Cladding specimens were obtained from two fuel rods irradiated in the Big Rock Point Reactor to a burnup of ~8 gigawatt days per ton. Both claddings had a uniform, thick (~4 ¿̐ưm) zirconium oxide layer on the inner surface. The significant difference between the two rods was the degree of fission-gas release (0.2 versus 14.3 percent). The high-gas-release rod contained a significantly greater amount of fission-product deposits, and, in some areas, breaks in the inner-surface oxide were observed. The cladding speciments, with the fuel removed, were subjected to stress-rupture tests in an iodine environment using internal gas pressurization to evaluate their stress corrosion cracking (SCC) susceptibility. All tests were conducted at an initial iodine concentration of 0.6 mg/cm2 and a temperature of 325¿̐ưC. Specimens from the high-gas-release rod exhibited signifciantly increased susceptibility to iodine SCC, with a threshold stress level of ~200 MPa as compared with ~280 MPa in the specimens from the low-gas-release rod. The results suggest that the inner-surface oxide provides a barrier to iodine penetration. Hence, the thick unbreached oxide on the low-gas-release rod provided greater resistance to iodine SCC than the breached oxide on the high-gas-release rod.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1982, Issue 754 (January 1982)
- 9780803148239 (e-ISBN), 9780803107540, and 0803107544
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 10.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription., Full text article also available for purchase., and Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1982. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27993131