Combined Elastic-Plastic and Acoustic Emission Methods for the Evaluation of Tearing and Cleavage Crack Extension / MA. Khan, T. Shoji, H. Takahashi, H. N¿̐ưtsuma
- Conference Author:
- Elastic-Plastic Fracture: Second Symposium, Volume II¿̐ưFracture Resistance Curves and Engineering Applications (2nd : 1981 : Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (23 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Khan, MA.
American Society for Testing and Materials
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- A synergism between the acoustic emission and fracture mechanics techniques to predict failure in laboratory specimens of different structural materials is discussed. Emphasis is placed on situations in which fracture occurs by a cleavage crack propagation or controlled by the slow growth to fracture of a single crack. Results obtained during the tests indicate that acoustic emission is capable of detecting the onset of flaw growth and provide a precursor of the immediacy of fracture in a variety of steel and aluminum alloys. A new J/Ji key resistance curve procedure is developed for the evaluation of ductile fracture toughness (JIc) and tearing modulus with a single small specimen. Moreover, a new acoustic emission rating parameter for predicting tearing instability of elastic-plastic crack growth is proposed and related to the tearing modulus parameter.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1983, Issue 803V2 (January 1983)
- 9780803148703 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 32.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1983. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27993949