The Oxidant O2 (Helium) Index of Flammability of Endotracheal Tubes / JI. Simpson, GL. Wolf, GA. Schiff
- Conference Author:
- Flammability and Sensitivity of Materials in Oxygen-Enriched Atmospheres: Fourth Volume (4th : 1989 : Las Cruces, New Mexico)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (5 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Schiff, GA., Simpson, JI., Wolf, GL., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
Subscription required for access to full text.
- The effect on flammability of endotracheal tubes exposed to helium diluted oxygen was measured by the Oxidant O2 (He) index of flammability and compared to the corresponding oxidant O2 (N2) indices of flammability. The oxidant O2 (He) index of flammability for PVC (Portex) ETT is 0.274, for RR ETT 0.194, and for Si ETT 0.194. The differences between helium dilution values and the corresponding nitrogen dilution values are statistically significant, the greatest difference being a factor of 1.2. However the common clinical practice of adding helium as a diluent for oxygen in situations with a potential for flammability may not increase patient safety.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1989, Issue 1040 (January 1989)
- Other Subject(s):
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 5.
- Other Forms:
- Also available in PDF edition.
Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1989. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27994015