Oxidation of Pyrite in Marine Clays and Zinc Adsorption by Clays / M. Ohtsubo
- Conference Author:
- Dredging, Remediation, and Containment of Contaminated Sediments (1994 : Montreal, Quebec, Canada)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (8 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Ohtsubo, M., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
Subscription required for access to full text.
- Machine generated contents note: Keynote Paper: The Fate of Toxic Pollutants in Contaminated Sediments / R. N. Yong -- Use of Bathymetry for Sediment Characterization at Indiana Harbor / D. M. Petrovski -- Oxidation of Pyrite in Marine Clays and Zinc Adsorption by Clays / M. Ohtsubo -- Heavy Metal Concentration in Bay Sediments of Japan / Y. Kato / M. Fukue / T. Nakamura / S. Yamasaki -- Removal of Contaminated Sediments: Equipment and Recent Field Studies / J. B. Herbich -- Demonstrations and Commercial Applications of Innovative Sediment Removal Technologies / J.-P. Pelletier -- Data Requirements for Advancing Techniques to Predict Dredge-Induced Sediment and Contaminant Releases - A Review / D. E. Averett -- Development of Solidification Technique for Dredged Sediments / S. Yamasaki / H. Yasui / M. Fukue -- Field Demonstrations of Sediment Treatment Technologies by the USEPA's Assessment and Remediation of Contaminated Sediments (ARCS) Program / S. Garbaciak, Jr. / J. A. Miller -- Factors Influencing the Development of a Biostimulant for the In-Situ Anaerobic Dechlorination of Polychlorinated Biphenyls in Fox River, Wisconsin Sediments / M. B. Hollifield / J. K. Park / W. C. Boyle / P. R. Fritschel -- New In-Situ Procedures for Measuring Trace Metals in Pore Waters / W. Davison / H. Zhang / G. W. Grime -- Mercury-Contaminated Sludge Treatment by Dredging in Minamata Bay / K. Yoshinaga -- State of the Art: CDF Contaminant Pathway Control / G. N. Richardson / R. C. Chaney / D. M. Petrovski / K. R. Demars -- Abating Coal Tar Seepage into Surface Water Bodies Using Sheet Piles with Sealed Interlocks / B. I. Collingwood / R. F. Murdock / M. D. Boscardin -- Modeling Air Emissions from Contaminated Sediment Dredged Materials / L. J. Thibodeaux / K. T. Valsaraj / D. D. Reible -- Soil-Bentonite Design Mix for Slurry Cutoff Walls Used as Containment Barriers / B. D. Jacobson / R. C. Bachus / N. S. Rad -- Testing of a Cement-Bentonite Mix for a Low-Permeability Plastic Barrier / J.-P. Tournier / J.-H. Deschenes / M. Massiera -- Design and Performance Verification of a Soil-Bentonite Slurry Wall for the Hydraulic Isolation of Contaminated Sites / R. Hollenweger / L. Martinenghi -- Strategies for Management of Contaminated Sediments / M. R. Palermo / J. Miller -- Partnering for Environmental Restoration: The Port Hope Harbour Remedial Action Plan (RAP) / S. M. C. Weston -- Critical Analysis of Sediment Quality Criteria and Hazard/Risk Assessment Tools / E. Bahout / J. Chan / R. N. Yong / R. Galvez-Cloutier -- Regulatory Strategies for Remediation of Contaminated Sediments / H. Zar.
- The oxidation of pyrite in marine clays exposed to a subaerial environment was confirmed and was determined to be well correlated with decreased adsorption of zinc by the clays. The production of sulfuric acid and iron oxide by this oxidation and the accompanying decrease in pH was demonstrated based on an investigation of the chemistry of the marine clay profile and laboratory incubation tests for remoulded clay samples. Both pH decrease and the production of iron oxides reduced the zinc adsorption capability of the clays. This suggests that the zinc adsorbed by the marine clays would be released into the pore water due to exposure of the sediment surface to the atmosphere.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1995, Issue 1293 (January 1995)
- Other Subject(s):
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 13.
- Other Forms:
- Also available in PDF edition.
Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1995. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27994161