Development of a Prototype Personal Cooling System for First Responders : User Feedback / DH. Branson, CA. Farr, S. Peksoz, J. Nam, H. Cao
- Conference Author:
- Performance of Protective Clothing: Global Needs and Emerging Markets, 8th Symposium (8th : 2004 : Tampa, Florida)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (11 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Peksoz, S., Branson, DH., Cao, H., Farr, CA., Nam, J., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- A series of six focus groups in five U.S. cities was conducted as a component in a 3-year project to develop a prototype personal cooling system for first responders. The target user was a HAZMAT worker wearing level A and B ensembles, with a 30-min mission and an average body heat dissipation of 180 W. The purpose of the focus groups was to determine user needs, wants, and concerns early and progressively throughout the development of the prototype system to serve as design input. The first two focus groups provided information on the use of HAZMAT ensembles and thermal comfort problems associated with wearing the ensembles while working an incident, and reaction to a mock-up cooler system. Focus groups 3¿̐ư6 provided user feedback on an alpha prototype system. All groups confirmed the need for a cooling system and the problem with moisture build-up within level A and B encapsulated suits. Reaction to the liquid-cooled vest was positive. An exterior location for the cooler unit was acceptable if users' concerns were addressed adequately.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 2005, Issue 1462 (January 2005)
- Other Subject(s):
- 9780803155060 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 5.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 2005. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27994197