Transportation, Preparation, and Storage of Frozen Soil Samples for Laboratory Testing / THW Baker
- Conference Author:
- Soil Specimen Preparation for Laboratory Testing (1975 : Montreal, Canada)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (25 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Baker, THW
American Society for Testing and Materials
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- Increased construction activities in cold regions require a better understanding of the behavior of frozen soil. Although in situ testing procedures are being improved or developed, the highly variable and complicated conditions usually encountered in the field make it difficult to formulate interpretations that are useful in practice. Controlled laboratory tests on frozen soils are helpful, therefore, in determining behavior indicative of diverse field conditions and will assist in establishing design information. This paper is a review of the procedures used and the difficulties encountered in the transportation, preparation, and storage of naturally and artificially frozen soil samples required for testing in the laboratory. The effective control of sample disturbance by temperature variation and sublimation and the need for further investigation as to their effect on the mechanical properties of frozen soil are discussed.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1976, Issue 599 (January 1976)
- 9780803155886 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 24.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1976. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27994250