The Varieties of Compound Terms and Their Treatment / RA. Strehlow
- Conference Author:
- Standardization of Technical Terminology: Principles and Practices (1982 : Toronto, Ontario, Canada)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (8 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Strehlow, RA., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text. and License restrictions may limit access.
- Compound terms are essential in technical terminologies because of the need to distinguish precisely between subtle or detailed differences in concepts or things. Compound terms of different sorts require different approaches in defining and in handling. Unitary compound terms, those consisting of a base word and one or more affixes, are common in nontechnical usage, but are generated in technical terminological work by drawing from a greater number of less common affixes. Still, multiple meanings for the affixes are common. As in the case of ordinary usage, some affixes are independent enough so that the affix may be defined, but the compound term does not require definition. Indexing may require cross referencing in some cases.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1983, Issue 806 (January 1983)
- 9780803148529 (e-ISBN), 9780803102477, and 080310247X
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 16.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription., Full text article also available for purchase., and Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1983. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27994422