Biological Activity and Potential Remediation Involving Geotextile Landfill Leachate Filters / GR. Koerner, RM. Koerner
- Conference Author:
- Geosynthetic Testing for Waste Containment Applications (1990 : Las Vegas, NV)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (22 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Koerner, GR., Koerner, RM., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- This paper presents the results of a biological growth study in geotextile filters used in landfill leachate collection systems. After reviewing the first year's activity, a completely new experimental approach has been taken. Using 100 mm diameter columns for the experimental incubation and flow systems, the effects of six landfill leachates are evaluated. Aerobic and anaerobic states, four different geotextiles, and soil/no soil conditions above the geotextiles are involved in the testing program. This results in 96 individual test columns. Flow data is measured regularly, and over the first six months of evaluation the following trends have been observed. ¿̐ư no clogging (0%¿̐ư25% flow reduction) 6 of 96 columns = 7% ¿̐ư minor clogging (25%¿̐ư50% flow reduction) 4 of 96 columns = 4% ¿̐ư moderate clogging (50%¿̐ư75% flow reduction) 37 of 96 columns = 38% ¿̐ư major clogging (75%¿̐ư95% flow reduction) 35 of 96 columns = 36% ¿̐ư severe clogging (95%¿̐ư100% flow reduction) 14 of 96 columns = 15%.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1990, Issue 1081 (January 1990)
- Other Subject(s):
- 9780803151390 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 9.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1990. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27994755