Portable X-ray Survey Meters for In Situ Trace Element Monitoring of Air Particulates / JR. Rhodes, JA. Stout, JS. Schindler, S. Pi¿̐ưrek
- Conference Author:
- Toxic Materials in the Atmosphere: Sampling and Analysis (1981 : Boulder, Colo.)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (13 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Rhodes, JR., Stout, JA., Schindler, JS., Pi¿̐ưrek, S., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text. and License restrictions may limit access.
- The use of new portable X-ray fluorescence instruments is described for nondestructive elemental analysis of air contaminants. Elements from silicon to uranium can be monitored in particulate deposits on filters. Most detection limits are in the range 0.1 to 1.0 ¿̐ưg element per square centimetre of deposit. These values translate to 1 to 10 ¿̐ưg/m3 for personal samplers operated at 2 L/min over an 8-h shift. They are 1 to 4 orders of magnitude below Permissible Exposure Limits for workplace air contaminants. This new capability should fill the need for rapid, on-site elemental analysis of air contaminants. Instruments can be employed for routine monitoring of breathing zones and work areas, for detecting fugitive emissions and for on-the-spot surveys of accidental releases of toxic materials.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1982, Issue 786 (January 1982)
- 9780803148482 (e-ISBN), 9780803106031, and 0803106033
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 8.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription., Full text article also available for purchase., and Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1982. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27994797