Further Studies of a Modified-Charpy Specimen for Lower-Bound Toughness / RJ. Bonenberger, JW. Dally
- Conference Author:
- Fracture Mechanics: 25th Volume (25th : 1993 : Bethlehem, Pennsylvania)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (13 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Bonenberger, RJ.
American Society for Testing and Materials
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- A low cost method for determining the lower-bound fracture toughness with a modified-Charpy specimen is described in this paper. The oversized Charpy specimen is face grooved to enhance constraint, and strain gages are used during the impact loading to record the strain-time history at a point near the crack tip. A dynamic photoelastic analysis is employed to determine a suitable relation between the strain and the stress intensity factor Ki during the impact period. Strain-time traces from several specimens are used to develop a master strain-time curve representative of the material considered (A533-B reactor grade steel). This curve is converted to a Ki-t curve using the relation developed from the dynamic photoelastic study. The time corresponding to crack initiation, determined from the original strain gage records, permits the determination of the dynamic initiation toughness Kid, which is a good approximation of the lower-bound toughness.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1995, Issue 1220 (January 1995)
- 9780803152946 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 13.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1995. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27994844