The Effect of Welding Discontinuities on the Variability of Fatigue Life / GR. Kober, RJ. Dexter, EJ. Kaufmann, BT. Yen, JW. Fisher
- Conference Author:
- Fracture Mechanics: 25th Volume (25th : 1993 : Bethlehem, Pennsylvania)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (13 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Dexter, RJ., Fisher, JW., Kaufmann, EJ., Kober, GR., Yen, BT., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access. and Subscription required for access to full text.
- Large-scale I-section beams were welded from A710 (HSLA-80) steel plates. There were plain welded beams, similar beams with two attachment details fillet welded to the tension flange, and similar beams with transverse groove welds. The welding procedures used produced a wide range of welding discontinuities, particularly at groove welds which intersected the longitudinal fillet welds without a cope hole. The 162 beams were fatigue tested in four-point bending in a test matrix which included various stress ranges and minimum stress levels. The discontinuities at the origin of each fatigue crack were identified. These initiating discontinuities included microscopic weld toe discontinuities, porosity, inclusions, lack of penetration and hydrogen cracks. Fracture mechanics fatigue crack growth models were used to calculate the fatigue lives based on the initial discontinuity size. Various methods of idealizing the discontinuities as initial cracks were examined.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1995, Issue 1220 (January 1995)
- 0803118821, 9780803118829, and 9780803152946 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 21.
- Other Forms:
- Also available in PDF edition., Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription., and Full text article also available for purchase.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1995. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27994851