Hurricane Hugo and Historic Charleston : Damage Recordation and Retrieval / JH. Poston
- Conference Author:
- Standards for Preservation and Rehabilitation (1993 : Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas)
- West Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1996.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (19 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Poston, JH.
American Society for Testing and Materials
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- Despite a history of natural disasters, most preservationists in Charleston, South Carolina, discovered, as Hurricane Hugo approached, that they were without a cultural resource, disaster-preparedness plan. Each cultural organization in the city took basic protective measures prior to the storm's onslaught, but few were prepared for the magnitude of the outcome. Immediately afterward, preservationists organized an emergency stabilization task force at the request of the city. With a phone bank and a battery of volunteers, expert and amateur, a multilevel effort was commenced, consisting of architectural salvage, survey, technical information dissemination, contractor database, and recordation of damage. After months of recovery efforts, the final phase of recordation and survey led to the input of information and the development of a computer-automated graphics and database marriage program. The database has provided quick access to important information such as roofing and chimney failures and losses of building features. The Foundation's database offers the opportunity for future expansion. Its experience with Hugo has helped set forth new standards for damage recordation after a natural disaster.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1996, Issue 1258 (January 1996)
- 9780803153219 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 24.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1996. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27994896