Small-Crack Behavior and Safety-Critical-Design Criteria for Cyclic Fatigue in Mg-PSZ Ceramics / AA. Steffen, RH. Dauskardt, RO. Ritchie
- Conference Author:
- Cyclic Deformation, Fracture, and Nondestructive Evaluation of Advanced Materials (1990 : San Antonio, Texas)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (13 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Steffen, AA.
American Society for Testing and Materials
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- Cyclic fatigue-crack behavior is studied in a Mg-PSZ ceramic heat treated by sub-eutectoid aging to K1c toughnesses in the range 2.9 MPa?m(overaged) to 16 MPa?m (TS grade). S/N data, derived from unnotched cantilever-beam specimens, show markedly lower lives under tension-compression compared to tension-tension loading; ¿̐ưfatigue limits¿̐ư (108 cycles) for tension-compression loading approach 50% of the tensile strength of the material. When ¿̐ưlong¿̐ư (>3 mm) fatigue crack propagation is examined, crack growth rates are found to be power-law dependent on the stress intensity range, ?K, and to show evidence of a threshold stress intensity range, ?KTH, approximately equal to 50% K1c. Conversely, for naturally occurring ¿̐ưsmall¿̐ư (<100 ?m) surface cracks, fatigue crack growth is seen to occur at applied ?K levels some two to three times smaller than the long crack threshold, ?KTH. The implications of such small crack growth behavior on safety-critical-design criteria for ceramic components is discussed.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1992, Issue 1157 (January 1992)
- 9780803152120 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 39.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1992. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27995210