Influence of Road-Surface Roughness on Vehicle Operating Costs : Reviewing the Evidence from Developing Countries / R. Harrison
- Conference Author:
- Surface Characteristics of Roadways: International Research and Technologies (1988 : Pennsylvania)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (14 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Harrison, R., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access. and Subscription required for access to full text.
- The paper describes some features of the vehicle operating cost/road-roughness relationships reported in the major international research studies from 1972 to 1986. This research is characterized by the use of road-surface roughness devices, fleets of experimental vehicles to measure fuel consumption, large-scale surveys of vehicle operators, improvements to speed and fuel modeling, and the development of user-friendly economic evaluation models. All studies report significant effects on operating costs following changes in surface roughness. The issues of calibration, new vehicle technologies, and extrapolation of study results are then discussed. The paper concludes by characterizing the main features of the research studies and shows the rise in operating costs attendant on allowing surface conditions from deteriorating to high levels of roughness.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1990, Issue 1031 (January 1990)
- 0803113919, 9780803113916, and 9780803151109 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 31.
- Other Forms:
- Also available in PDF edition., Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription., and Full text article also available for purchase.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1990. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27995271