Corrosion-Fatigue Behavior of Coated 4340 Steel for Blade Retention Bolts of the AH-1 Helicopter / M. Levy, JL. Morrossi
- Conference Author:
- Corrosion-Fatigue Technology (1976 : Denver, Colo.)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (13 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Levy, M., Morrossi, JL., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text. and License restrictions may limit access.
- The main rotor blade bolt for the 540 helicopter rotor system of the AH-1G, UH-1C, and UH-1M helicopters is proposed to be improved by substituting a plasma-sprayed tungsten carbide coating on the outer shank of the 4340 steel bolt for the present cadmium or chromium plate. This study was undertaken to determine the effects of these coating systems on the fatigue behavior of 4340 steel in environments likely to be encountered in service. Both axial tension-tension and rotating bending fatigue testing of coated specimens were carried out in air and in 3.5 percent sodium chloride (NaCl) solution. The NaCl environment causes reductions in fatigue strength of bare and coated 4340 steel. The severity of the degradation depends on the coating applied and the type of fatigue test utilized.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1978, Issue 642 (January 1978)
- 9780803147140 (e-ISBN), 9780803103146, and 080310314X
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription., Full text article also available for purchase., and Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1978. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27995530