Growth of Elliptic Delaminations in Laminates Under Cyclic Transverse Shear Stresses / SN. Chatterjee, V. Ramnath, WA. Dick, YZ. Chen
- Conference Author:
- Composite Materials: Testing and Design (Eighth Conference) (8th : 1986 : Charleston, South Carolina)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (17 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Chatterjee, SN., Chen, YZ., Dick, WA., Ramnath, V., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text. and License restrictions may limit access.
- Models for predicting growth of delaminations in laminated composites under fatigue loading are needed for development of different types of criteria, namely, (1) design criteria for damage tolerance and durability of composite components, (2) accept/reject criteria for manufactured parts, and (3) repair/replace decision making for components damaged in service. For this reason, various studies have been and are being conducted to study one-dimensional growth of delaminations in coupons or beam specimens for obtaining semi-empirical growth laws. In this study, two-dimensional growth patterns of single as well as multiple delaminations (through the thickness of the laminate) under mixed-mode loading conditions are predicted using such a growth law, and the results are compared with data from a series of test specimens. The growth law is obtained from measured growths of the major axis of implanted (double-layer trifluoroethylene resin sealed at edges) elliptic delaminations in the midplane of 76-mm-wide (04/¿̐ư452)s4 AS-1/3501 plates loaded in three-point bending reported in a previous study.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1988, Issue 972 (January 1988)
- 9780803150447 (e-ISBN), 9780803109803, and 0803109806
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 15.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription., Full text article also available for purchase., and Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1988. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27996264