SANS Study of High-Copper RPV Welds in Irradiated and Annealed Conditions / MA. Sokolov, S. Spooner, GR. Odette, BD. Wirth, GE. Lucas
- Conference Author:
- Effects of Radiation on Materials: 18th International Symposium (18th : 1996 : Hyannis, Massachusetts)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (13 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Lucas, GE., Odette, GR., Sokolov, MA., Spooner, S., Wirth, BD., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text. and License restrictions may limit access.
- Small-angle neutron scattering (SANS) has been used to study reactor pressure vessel (RPV) welds from the Heavy-Section Steel Irradiation (HSSI) Program. Each of the welds contains high bulk copper contents ranging from 0.26 to 0.40 wt %. The welds were irradiated in test reactors to fluences ranging from 0.5 to 1.9 x 1019 n/cm2 (E > 1 MeV). SANS measurements were performed to determine number density, radius, and volume fraction of irradiation-induced scattering centers which were consistent with copper-rich precipitates (CRPs). The bulk copper content had no effect on CRP number density, volume fraction, and average radius. Postirradiation annealing (PIA) was performed on the welds for 168 h at 343, 399, and 454¿̐ưC. SANS measurements on these samples show that high temperature PIA decreases the CRP number density and volume fraction while increasing the average radius. The SANS data obtained on these welds are consistent with the University of California, Santa Barbara, database and comparison is made with two A533B type model alloys irradiated to a similar fluence and following PIA. Evolution of the CRP scattering centers with irradiation and PIA is compared to the changes in mechanical properties.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1999, Issue 1325 (January 1999)
- 9780803153950 (e-ISBN), 9780803126145, and 080312614X
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 16.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription., Full text article also available for purchase., and Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1999. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27996580