Effect of Compositional Variations on the Microstructure and Properties of Rapidly Solidified Al-3Li Alloys / PJ. Meschter, PS. Pao, RJ. Lederich, JE. O'Neal
- Conference Author:
- Rapidly Solidified Powder Aluminum Alloys (1984 : Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (15 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Lederich, RJ., Meschter, PJ., O'Neal, JE., Pao, PS., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
Subscription required for access to full text.
- The quantitative effects of stepwise additions of the precipitation-strengthening element copper, the solid-solution-strengthening element magnesium, and the substructure-refining element zirconium on the microstructures and peak-aged mechanical properties of rapid solidification processed (RSP) Al-3Li alloys have been determined. Additions of 0.2 to 0.5% zirconium by weight produce a 1.4 to 1.9-?m diameter, fully recovered subgrain structure in Al-3Li-Zr extrusions and raise the peak-aged yield stress of Al-3Li by 100 to 140 MPa. The addition of 1% magnesium raises the yield stress of Al-3Li-0.2Zr by 35 MPa, but a further addition to 2% has no effect. Additions of 1 to 2% copper to Al-3Li-0.2Zr raise the yield stress by 45 MPa per weight percent copper and render the peak-aged mechanical properties of the alloy sensitive to variations in solutiontreatment temperature and process stretch. Improvements in the properties of RSP Al-3Li-Cu-Zr alloys, in comparison with those measured by previous investigators, are related to improvements in consolidation processing and, in particular, to effective disintegration of oxide layers on the RSP particulates. Al-3Li-1Mg-0.2Zr and Al-3Li-2Cu-0.2Zr are promising substitutes for commercial 2XXX and 7XXX aluminum alloys, respectively, at 10 to 11% lower density levels.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1986, Issue 890 (January 1986)
- Other Subject(s):
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 9.
- Other Forms:
- Also available in PDF edition.
Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1986. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27996739