Fractographic Analysis of Biaxial Failure in Ceramics / JJ. Mecholsky, RW. Rice
- Conference Author:
- Fractography of Ceramic and Metal Failures (1982 : Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (9 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Mecholsky, JJ., Rice, RW., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text. and License restrictions may limit access.
- Borosilicate and silica glass, Pyroceram 9606 glass ceramic, and polycrystalline magnesium fluoride ceramic disks were biaxially stressed and the fracture surfaces examined to determine the size of the fracture surface features. The fracture stress (?)-fracture mirror radii (rj) relationship ?jm=Mj where Mj are the mirror constants (j = 1, 2, 3) and m is constant, usually 0.5, is shown to hold for uniaxial, flexural, and biaxial loading conditions. This implies that any local differences of the stress state at the fracture-initiating site are dissipated by the time the crack-front forms mist, hackle, and crack branching, making measurement of the boundaries of these features a general fracture characteristic.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1984, Issue 827 (January 1984)
- 9780803148963 (e-ISBN), 9780803102156, and 0803102151
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 24.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription., Full text article also available for purchase., and Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1984. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27996756