The Influence of Plasticity and Geometry on the Mixed Mode Fracture of PMMA / JCW Davenport, DJ. Smith
- Conference Author:
- Constraint Effects in Fracture Theory and Applicatons: Second Volume (1993 : Dallas/Forth Worth, TX)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (17 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Davenport, JCW
American Society for Testing and Materials
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
Subscription required for access to full text.
- The effects of changing notch tip constraint in mixed modes I/II, through the influence of plasticity and geometry, are studied in single edge notch (SEN) specimens of PMMA using a newly developed test apparatus. Elastic-plastic finite element analyses show the different constraint effects between notched and cracked specimens. The influence of molecular weight is also investigated. In a parallel study, the behaviour of PMMA under mixed modes I/III is studied using circumferentially notched round bar (CNRB) specimens. Two sizes of specimen, both notched, are tested to identify the role of constraint in this type of fracture. The results from both types of shear test show that the type of crack, mode of loading, and the load history all have an influence on the role of constraint and therefore its fracture properties of PMMA.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1995, Issue 1244 (January 1995)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 21.
- Other Forms:
- Also available in PDF edition.
Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1995. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27996948