Effects of Thermomechanical Fatigue Loading on Damage Evolution and Lifetime of a Coated Super Alloy / M. Bartsch, K. Mull, C. Sick
- Conference Author:
- Fatigue & Fracture Mechanics: 33rd Volume (33rd : 2001 : Jackson Lake Lodge in Morgan, Wyoming)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (14 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Sick, C.
American Society for Testing and Materials
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- Ceramic thermal barrier coatings (TBC) on internally cooled metallic turbine blades give a potential for increasing the turbine gas inlet temperatures in a range of 50¿̐ư150¿̐ưC. Since, at higher gas inlet temperatures the remaining lifetime of the blade after failure of the TBC is extremely short, reliable lifetime prognosis for TBCs in service is required. A lifetime assessment concept is presented which is based on realistic thermal and mechanical fatigue (TMF) testing. To achieve short testing times with the TMF test rig kinetic damages, depending on the time at high temperature, are imposed separately so that a TMF cycle lasts about 1% of real service cycles. Substrate materials failed in TMF tests due to fatigue cracks. The fatigue load entailing failure of the substrate at the proposed design life determines the maximal cyclic strain of the ceramic TBC and was therefore chosen for TMF tests on TBC-coated specimens. TBCs in ¿̐ưas coated¿̐ư condition survived the required load alternations without any cracks, which implies that the premature failure of TBCs in service is due to interacting kinetic damage mechanisms.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 2003, Issue 1417 (January 2003)
- 9780803154728 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 9.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 2003. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27997049