The Formation and Development of Nodular Defects in Optical Coatings / B. Liao, DJ. Smith, B. McIntyre
- Conference Author:
- Laser Induced Damage in Optical Materials: 1985 (1985 : Boulder, Colorado)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (14 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Liao, B., McIntyre, B., Smith, DJ., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- We have investigated the nodular defect using computer simulations and experimental techniques. A modified version of the hard-disk model, in which the migration and attraction of atoms are introduced in simplified ways, is used to simulate the formation and development of nodules. This simulation reveals the self-extending nature of nodule growth and the dependence of the nodule shape and size upon the conditions of the coating's formation, including deposition geometry, migration, and capture length of atoms. By planting artificial seeds on substrate surfaces and overcoating with single and multilayer stacks, we have encourged nodular formation under controlled and variable deposition conditions. Fractured cross-sections of these coatings have been examined by scanning microscopy (SEM). A comparison between our experimental observations and the modeling results help explain the mechanisms for nodule growth.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1988, Issue 1015 (January 1988)
- Laser beams—Congresses
- Laser beams
- Laser materials—Defects
- Laser materials—Effect of radiation on—Congresses
- Optical materials—Defects—Congresses
- Optical materials—Effect of radiation on—Congresses
- Optical materials—Effect of radiation on.
- Coating defects
- Hard-disk model
- Laser damage
- Thin film structure
- Thin films
- Other Subject(s):
- 9780803150317 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 11.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1988. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27997221