The Effects of a Contaminated Dredged Material on Laboratory Populations of the Tubicolous Amphipod Ampelisca abdita / KJ. Scott, MS. Redmond
- Conference Author:
- Aquatic Toxicology and Hazard Assessment: 12th Volume (12th : 1988 : Sparks, Nevada)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (15 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Redmond, MS.
American Society for Testing and Materials
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- Short-term and full life cycle toxicity tests have been conducted with Ampelisca abdita as part of the joint COE-EPA field Verification Program (FVP). These studies comprised a portion of the effects assessment component of a risk analysis describing the hazards associated with aquatic disposal of dredged materials from Black Rock Harbor (BRH), Connecticut. The specific objective of these toxicity tests was to document the sensitivity of Ampelisca's chronic endpoints to a range of contaminated suspended particulate concentrations. In long-term exposures of 56 days, amphipod growth and intrinsic rate of population growth, r, were impaired at all BRH sediment exposures. In all cases, the reduction in population growth rate was a function of slower growth of females, causing a longer time to maturity, which was coupled with a reduced egg production at maturity because the females were smaller.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1989, Issue 1027 (January 1989)
- 9780803150881 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 16.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1989. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27997264