- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- Rapid construction practices throughout the concrete industry have brought increasing pressure on specifying agencies to assess the quality of concrete at an earlier age than 7 or 28 days after placement. Currently, the later age is still specified for compression tests of 152 by 304-mm (6 by 12-in.) cylinders of concrete as delivered to the job site in order to determine quality. During the 28-day period, it is not unusual for a multistory building to rise several floors before the strength tests are conducted. This situation is considered by many to be too precarious for construction to proceed on a sound technical basis and with adequate assurance of safety. Furthermore, extensive and costly delays are encountered when 28-day test results are low, since a field investigation may be necessary to verify the load-carrying capacity of the structure. Further delay is certain if concrete must be reinforced or replaced. Conversely, economics dictate that work continue without knowing quality, thus setting the stage for a catastrophic collision between advancing construction technology and the price owners are willing to pay for their capital facilities. Surely, an earlier assessment of concrete quality is absolutely essential.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1978, Issue 169B (January 1978)
- 9780803147126 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 21.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1978. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27997296