Skiing and Snowboarding Injuries in the Czech Republic in Winter Seasons 2003¿̐ư2008 / Jan Rokyta, Rudolf Chlad
- Conference Author:
- Skiing Trauma and Safety: 18th Volume (18th : 2009 : Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (6 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Rokyta, Jan, Chlad, Rudolf, American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text. and License restrictions may limit access.
- The goal of our observation was to evaluate the trends in the number and anatomic location of injuries sustained during downhill skiing, snowboarding, and cross-country skiing during the six seasons between 2003 and 2008 in the major skiing areas in the Czech Republic. There is a total of 33 skiing areas in the Czech Republic with a total ski slope length of 350 km and an hourly capacity of 300,000 people. The total number of injuries per season is around 5500, with the majority of the injured being men. An increase in the prevalence of upper extremity and snowboarding injuries was observed, as well as a decrease in the prevalence of head injuries and all sustained during cross-country and downhill skiing. A surprising discovery was that the overall injury rate was ~1.0 injury/1000 skier or snowboarder days and 0.1 injury/1000 cross-country skier days.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 2011, Issue 1525 (January 2011)
- 9780803186859 (e-ISBN) and 9780803175112
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 8.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription., Full text article also available for purchase., and Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 2011. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27997612