Chapter 21¿̐ưComplex Electronics in Clinical Therapy : Clinical Use of Cardiac Pacemakers / V. Parsonnet, AD. Bernstein, W. Raythen
- Conference Author:
- Medical Devices: Measurements, Quality Assurance, and Standards (1981 : Gaithersburg, Md.)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (15 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Bernstein, AD.
American Society for Testing and Materials
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- Pacing of the heart has become quite complex, especially in comparison to its relative simplicity two decades ago when there was but one indication (complete heart block with Stokes-Adams seizures), one simple pacemaker (fixed rate), and only one way to implant it (through a left thoracotomy). Despite this growing complexity, pacemakers are implanted in 2500 ¿̐ưcenters¿̐ư in the United States, and approximately 100 000 units are implanted each year. In order to be a pacemaker ¿̐ưexpert¿̐ư one must be familiar with such disparate subjects as electrophysiology, clinical cardiology, surgery and its complications, and basic electronics. As will be seen, the extent of clinical need and the intricacy of device technology pose unusual problems for establishing standards for pacemaker function and clinical effectiveness.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1983, Issue 800 (January 1983)
- 9780803148666 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 7.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1983. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27997676