Helium Bubbles in Titanium-Stabilized Austenitic Stainless Steels Investigated by Positron Annihilation Spectroscopy / B. Viswanathan, G. Amarendra, R. Rajaraman
- Conference Author:
- Effects of Radiation on Materials: 15th International Symposium (15th : 1990 : Nashville, Tennessee)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (12 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Amarendra, G.
American Society for Testing and Materials
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
Subscription required for access to full text.
- Positron lifetime and Doppler line-shape studies have been made on helium-implanted (100 appm) titanium-stabilized austenitic stainless steels (TiSS), following two different preirradiation sample treatments. For both TiSS1 (solution-annealed sample) and TiSS2 (solution-annealed plus cold-worked plus aged sample), the variation of line-shape parameter Iv as a function of postirradiation annealing temperature exhibits an initial decrease, a broad shoulder between 670 and 970 K, and a final sharp fall beyond 1000 K. The lifetime ?2 shows a minimum at 670 K, beyond which it increases sharply accompanied by a decrease of its intensity I2 for both TiSS1 and TiSS2. The near-saturation value of ?2 at the higher annealing temperature for TiSS2 is found to be lower than that for TiSS1. The lifetime results of TiSS1 are explained as due to the nucleation and growth of helium bubbles formed at substitutional titanium complexes, while the results of TiSS2 are understood as due to nucleation and growth of bubbles at fine TiC precipitates. From an analysis of bubble parameters based on the experimental data for both TiSS1 and TiSS2, and their comparison with those of titanium-free SS316 steel, significant bubble size reduction and enhanced bubble density are indicated upon titanium addition. Above 1000 K, a third long lifetime component of weak intensity is observed for both TiSS1 and TiSS2, which might suggest bubble ripening with a bimodal distribution.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1992, Issue 1125 (January 1992)
- Line-shape parameter
- Materials—Effect of radiation on—Congresses
- Materials—Effect of radiation on.
- Nucleation and growth of helium bubbles
- Positron lifetime
- Steel—Effect of radiation on—Congresses
- Steel—Effect of radiation on.
- Sub-stitutional titanium complex
- TiC precipitates
- Titanium-stabilized stainless steel
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 25.
- Other Forms:
- Also available in PDF edition.
Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1992. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27997770