Crack Closure During Fatigue Crack Propagation / WJD Shaw, I. Le May
- Conference Author:
- Fracture Mechanics (1978 : Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Va.)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (14 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Le May, Iain
American Society for Testing and Materials
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- Crack closure in single edge notched fatigue specimens of AISI 4140 steel was studied and it was determined that crack closure occurs at the edges of the specimen in the area of slant mode fracture while the center portion remains open. It was demonstrated that errors arise in the determination of crack opening and crack closure loads if the displacement measurements are not taken an adequate distance from the crack tip. Following careful evaluation of the loads for complete crack opening and complete crack closure, it has been demonstrated that in the equation for correlation or prediction of fatigue crack propagation, improved correlation results when an effective value of ?K is taken based on the range of stress intensity factor to maximum load from complete crack closure rather than from complete crack opening or minimum load.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1979, Issue 677 (January 1979)
- 9780803147461 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 23.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1979. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27998131