Low-Cycle Fatigue Testing of Tubular Material Using Non-Standard Specimens / SM. Tipton
- Conference Author:
- Effects of Product Quality and Design Criteria on Structural Integrity (1997 : St. Louis, MO)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (18 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Tipton, SM., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text. and License restrictions may limit access.
- Coiled tubing life prediction models are based on the use of standard low-cycle fatigue data. However, coiled tubing dimensions and the ultra-low-cycle life regime of interest, combine to complicate ¿̐ưstandard¿̐ư experimental methodology. This paper describes coupon design and testing procedures that alleviate the difficulties inherent to strain-controlled low-cycle fatigue testing of tubular material. Data sets are presented and compared to existing sets generated using smaller specimens. It is shown that the refined approach facilitates the generation of data in the ultra-low-cycle coiled tubing operating regime. The difference between the morphologies of the outer and inner surfaces of the specimens, as manufactured by standard tube rolling techniques, proved to be influential, but could not fully explain the comprehensive tendency for cracks to initiate at the inner surface. The inherently lower fatigue resistance of the inner surface indicates the theoretical existence of a ¿̐ưthreshold defect severity¿̐ư which must be exceeded on the outer surface before it would affect the fatigue life of the tubing.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1998, Issue 1337 (January 1998)
- 9780803153875 (e-ISBN), 9780803124851, and 0803124856
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 6.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription., Full text article also available for purchase., and Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1998. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27998364