A Corrosiveness Test for Fibrous Insulations / SV. Crume
- Conference Author:
- Laboratory Corrosion Tests and Standards (1983 : Bal Harbour, FL)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (13 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Crume, SV., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text. and License restrictions may limit access.
- This paper describes the original development work for an insulation corrosiveness test that is used to test a variety of blanket, loose fill, and rigid fibrous insulations. The test, which provides a relative comparison of insulation corrosiveness with that of an inert control material at elevated temperature and humidity conditions, is reliable and reproducible when properly performed. The test is useful as a product development tool to qualify new insulation products and product formulation changes. The test consists of placing insulation and specially cleaned cotton controls against metal coupons and exposing them to 49¿̐ư C (120¿̐ư F) and 95% relative humidity conditions. After exposure, the coupons are ranked in order of corrosiveness by a panel of judges. A nonparametric statistical method is used to identify insulations that are more corrosive than the inert control material. Condition of the metal surfaces, cleanliness of the inert cotton control material, and uniform contact of the insulation against the metal surfaces were three areas identified as critical in conducting the corrosion test.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1985, Issue 866 (January 1985)
- 9780803149311 (e-ISBN), 9780803104433, and 080310443X
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 5.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription., Full text article also available for purchase., and Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1985. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27998702