Instrumented Charpy Testing for Determination of the J-Integral / KR. Iyer, RB. Miclot
- Conference Author:
- Instrumented Impact Testing (1973 : Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (20 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Iyer, KR.
American Society for Testing and Materials
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- Rice's path-independent integral J of medium-strength alloys was determined under dynamic conditions by instrumented impact testing of precracked Charpy specimens. The viability of the instrumented Charpy technique for rapid and easy determination of useful fracture parameters is explained. Standard and side-notched Charpy specimens of Cr-Mo-V, H-11, and CG-27 alloys were precracked and tested. Load-displacement curves were generated for specimens with different fatigue precrack lengths. The energy for initiation of fracture in each case was determined by measuring the area under the load-displacement curve up to limit load. The value J at the onset of crack propagation, JID, was calculated from a plot of energy versus crack length. The value of JID is not affected by side notches. The slope of the energy versus crack length plot alters sufficiently to compensate for the reduction in thickness. Agreement is good between KID values calculated from JID measurements and by other methods.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1974, Issue 563 (January 1974)
- 9780803146471 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 10.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1974. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27999108