Effect of Specimen Width on Fracture Toughness of Ti-6A1-4V Plate / GS. Hall, SR. Seagle, HB. Bomberger
- Conference Author:
- Toughness and Fracture Behavior of Titanium (1977 : Toronto, Ontario, Canada)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (19 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Bomberger, HB., Hall, GS., Seagle, SR., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text. and License restrictions may limit access.
- From a group of 96 specimens ranging in thickness from 15 to 38 mm (0.60 to 1.50 in.), a regression equation was obtained for Ti-6A1-4V plate relating the fracture toughness, KQ, of 205-mm (8-in.) wide specimens to the variables of specimen thickness and fracture toughness, KQ, for 76-mm (3-in.) width. The fracture toughness value of Ti-6A1-4V plate can be increased appreciably in thin specimens by using an oversized width specimen. The magnitude of this toughness increase diminishes as the thickness increases and approaches 38-mm (1.5-in.). Oversizing the specimen results in a significant reduction in the stress at instability at 2 percent crack extension. The specimen strength ratio, Rsc, essentially remains the same while Kmax and the Pmax/PQ ratio increase.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1978, Issue 651 (January 1978)
- 9780803147218 (e-ISBN), 9780803105911, and 0803105916
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 10.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription., Full text article also available for purchase., and Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1978. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27999343