Assessment of the Validity of Conductivity as an Estimate of Total Dissolved Solids in Heavy-Duty Coolants / RP. Carr
- Conference Author:
- Engine Coolant Testing: Fourth Volume (4th : 1997 : Scottsdale, Arizona)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (11 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Carr, RP., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text. and License restrictions may limit access.
- Conductivity is widely used in the analysis of heavy-duty coolants to estimate total dissolved solids. TDS is of concern in heavy-duty coolants because the practice of adding supplemental coolant additives (SCAs) to the coolant can lead to overloading and to subsequent water pump seal weepage and failure. Conductivity has the advantage of being quick and easy to measure and the equipment is inexpensive. However, questions are continually raised as to whether conductivity truly is a valid method of estimating TDS and, if so, over what concentration range. The introduction of new chemistries in heavy-duty coolants and new extended service interval (ESI) technologies prompts a critical assessment. Conductivity and TDS measurements for all of the coolants and SCAs used in heavy-duty engines in North America will be presented. The effects of glycol concentration on conductivity will also be examined.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1999, Issue 1335 (January 1999)
- 9780803155664 (e-ISBN), 9780803126107, and 0803126107
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription., Full text article also available for purchase., and Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1999. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27999430