Acceleration of Stress-Corrosion Cracking Test for High-Temperature, High-Purity Water Environments by Means of Artificial Crevice Application / M. Akashi
- Conference Author:
- Application of Accelerated Corrosion Tests to Service Life Prediction of Materials (1992 : Miami, FL)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (12 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Akashi, M.
American Society for Testing and Materials
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- In order to study the effects of introducing an artificial crevice to the specimen on the stress-corrosion cracking (SCO test for stainless alloys in the boiling water reactor (BWR) primary coolant environments, uniaxial constant load tests were performed in a high-temperature, high-purity water environment on Type 304 stainless steel and Alloy 600 type Ni-base alloys, both sensitized. 0n analyzing the lifetime distribution data by fitting to the exponential distribution model, it was found: (1) the lifetime to initiation of SCC can be accelerated by introducing an artificial crevice to the specimen; (2) the acceleration efficacy of graphite-fiber wool as a crevice-forming material is confirmed; (3) the acceleration effect of artificial crevice is stronger for Alloy 600 type Ni-base alloys than the Type 304 stainless steel by a factor of 5 to 6; and (4) by comparison of the performance data in actual environments and the results of analysis conducted on the laboratory acceleration test data, the use of artificially-creviced specimen for the SCC lifetime test has been justified because it effectively shortened the SCC initiation lifetime without losing the factual correspondence to the SCC that occurs in actual service environments.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1994, Issue 1194 (January 1994)
- 9780803152656 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 13.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1994. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27999478