Estimating Bird Damage to Sprouting Rice / DL. Otis, NR. Holler, PW. Lefebvre, DF. Mott
- Conference Author:
- Vertebrate Pest Control and Management Materials: Fourth Symposium (4th : 1982 : Monterey, Calif.)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (14 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Otis, DL., Holler, NR., Lefebvre, PW., Mott, DF., American Society for Testing and Materials, and ASTM International
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- Sampling procedures are described for assessing bird damage to sprouting rice. Optimum sampling schemes are derived for both large-scale surveys and controlled experimental research from data collected from a 1980 controlled experiment and a 1981 survey. A basic recommendation is that each field be sampled by using a stratified or systematic design, depending on the objective of the specific study. Sampling points consist of paired plots, one of which is protected from bird damage by a wire exclosure, that are located on transects placed randomly across the field. Methods are derived for calculating the number of plots per transect and the number of transects necessary to achieve a given level of precision or to maximize precision for a given cost. A stratified design is also proposed for conducting large-scale surveys, and recommendations are given concerning the required number of fields for a desired precision.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1983, Issue 817 (January 1983)
- Other Subject(s):
- 9780803148833 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 9.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1983. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 27999578