Stress Relaxation of Steel Tendons Used in Prestressed Concrete Under Conditions of Changing Applied Stress / RJ. Glodowski, GE. Hoff
- Conference Author:
- Stress Relaxation Testing (1978 : Kansas City, Mo.)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (17 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- Glodowski, RJ.
American Society for Testing and Materials
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
Subscription required for access to full text.
- Several methods have been proposed for predicting the total prestress loss in prestressed concrete structures. Inherent in all of these methods is the concept that the applied elastic strain on the steel tendons changes with time due to creep and shrinkage of concrete. A procedure most often used to determine the steel tendon's stress relaxation contribution to total prestress loss is a time iteration technique. The stress relaxation that occurs in each time interval is predicted from an equation describing stress relaxation as a function of time and initial stress level. This equation is normally derived from data obtained from constant-strain tests as per ASTM E328. During the time iteration program, however, the initial stress level is different for each time interval because of changing elastic strains in the steel tendons due to concrete creep and shrinkage. In some procedures under consideration by the prestressed concrete industry, the actual stress on the tendon at the start of each time interval is assumed to be the correct value for initial stress. Total relaxation is then determined by a summation of the relaxation during each time interval.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1979, Issue 676 (January 1979)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 5.
- Other Forms:
- Also available in PDF edition.
Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1979. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28000108