Effects of Copper on the Periphyton of a Small Calcareous Stream / CI. Weber, BH. McFarland
- Conference Author:
- Ecological Assessments of Effluent Impacts on Communities of Indigenous Aquatic Organisms (1979 : Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.)
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (31 pages) : illustrations, figures, tables
- Additional Creators:
- McFarland, BH.
American Society for Testing and Materials
- Restrictions on Access:
- Subscription required for access to full text.
License restrictions may limit access.
- The effect of the continuous addition of copper to a small calcareous stream at a concentration of approximately 120 ?g/litre was studied for a year. Of the parameters evaluated in this study, the species composition of the periphyton was found to be the most sensitive and informative measure of the effects of copper. Two of the dominant species of algae in the stream were eliminated from the periphyton: the diatom Cocconeis placentula var. euglypta, and the filamentous green alga, Cladophera glomerata. Cocconeis placentula, which commonly contributed 85 to 98 percent of the summer diatoms in the treated reach of the stream prior to the addition of copper, was replaced by three species of diatoms, Nitzschia palea, Navicula nigrii, and N. seminulum var. hustedtii. Other species of algae that were more abundant in the copper-treated reach than in the control reach of the stream were the filamentous blue-green alga, Schizothrix calcicola, and the desmids, Cosmarium granatum and C. subprotumidum.
- Dates of Publication and/or Sequential Designation:
- Volume 1981, Issue 730 (January 1981)
- 9780803147980 (e-ISBN)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references 24.
- Other Forms:
- Also available online via the World Wide Web. Tables of contents and abstracts freely available; full-text articles available by subscription.
Full text article also available for purchase.
Also available in PDF edition.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. W. Conshohocken, Pa. : ASTM International, 1981. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- Source of Acquisition:
- ASTM International PDF Purchase price USD25.
View MARC record | catkey: 28000281